Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Research Data

The secondary sources that I've located have been really good to define aspects of language acquisition and how teachers can use their knowledge of language acquisition to understand and help teach ESL students. What I want to do is see from a first hand account from both researcher and student what techniques really worked and how to apply the language acquistion knowledge to the techiniques to truly understand how and why it works for ESL students.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Your research question is sort of like mine. You are looking at how to effectively to teach ESL students and I am looking at how to effectively teach students who speak a variation of English other than Standard English. It is really cool that we are partners since our questions are very similar. You said you wanted to talk to researchers and students to get a firsthand account. That is what I want to do as well. I am expecting face to face interviews to give me information about how teaching language acquisition and the like, works in real life. Papers are great and stuff, but the people on the front lines have information that papers sometimes lack because they are more exploratory in nature, sometimes. I think the secondary sources that we have used in this class fit right in with your RQ. Maybe you would want to find some more sources on EJ that deal specifically with ESL. As far as what I would want to know about your RQ, I would be interested to know how the students our RQs focus on differ when it comes to language acquisition. For example, what obstacles do someone who speaks Black English encounter that an ESL student does not in acquiring Standard English? How are their learning experiences the same and different?